Icky Emergency Clinic Visit!
I am a bit flustered today.. well actually more than that...
I had to take our new pup Greta to the Emergency Vet clinic today because her spay incision was opening up and oozing. Oh drat. (I thought it looked more swollen and red than it should last night...)
Anyway, so its too late in the day to get in touch with my regular vet and their answering machine says to contact this Tri-County emergency Clinic. Which I've been to in the past, but it was a long time ago. I call ahead to the clinic and the receptionist warns me - well we are busy but come on in.
While I am waiting in the exam room, I notice some bits of dried blood on the floor (not Greta's)... which is kind of gross, but it is a busy Saturday. There is a bottle of cleaner and paper towels in the room. So while I am waiting, I figure I might as well wipe up that blood because I don't want Greta licking it up. After I swiped the floor with the paper towel, the towel comes up black. The floor is filthy. I look around a bit closer and the entire room is filthy. The steel counter top is smeared and cloudy, so I clean that too. Then I am worried about Greta laying on that dirty floor with an open incision. GROSS OUT PANIC! I gotta get outta here. But what about Greta, I can't leave her wound like this until Monday. So I wait, nervously trying to keep Greta from laying on the floor.
Oh good news, the clinic was able to get in touch with my vet and he says the clinic should just take care of my dog for him. I'm thinking that rat b***rd has referred me to this filthy place, after how much money have I spent at his place over the years? more grumpy on my part...
So the clinic vet takes a look at her incision and says that it looks like she is having a reaction to the interior muscle stitches that eventually dissolve. She says the incision should be opened back up, those sutures should be removed and of course it will require general anesthesia... again. I am not thrilled about having her put under and opened back up at such a filthy place, but I'm not sure I have any other choice.
Before they can do the procedure, you have to pay in advance. Okay, so I wait for the estimate. Decision made simple, the estimate is three times the price of the original spay surgery. Are you kidding me? I tell the young lady, that I would like to have something done, but I'm not paying that price, especially at a place where I am totally uncomfortable, with people I do not know. She says well let me get the doctor....
the vet comes back and says in a snotty tone: well I guess we can clean up the wound, put some staples in, give her some antibiotics and have you follow up with your Vet on Monday.
I'm not real happy with this. I'd rather not have my dog uncomfortable until Monday. But I'd really rather not have her opened up in this filthy place either. And I kind of feel like the vet is promoting the most expensive option, at exorbitant prices, knowing that we are somewhat desperate, with no other vets open the rest of the weekend. The attitude from the vet was really annoying. So I agree to the lesser work. They take Greta in the back, where I hear her yelp in pain as they put the staples in. I'm really not sure I made the right decision... because she probably will have to be opened back up again away.
The tech brings me back my dog, and I go to the counter to pay. Then I wonder, if giving her some benedryl might be helpful because of the allergic reaction. So I ask the receptionist, while she is checking me out...and she says let me ask the vet. After we finish up the payment, the receptionist goes in the back. I can hear the vet in the back, in a very snotty and sarcastic tone say that benedryl doesn't necessarily make all dogs drowsy, it may make her hyper. I wasn't asking to make her drowsy, I am asking about something to treat the reaction. I was so annoyed at her tone, and her inability to step out from the back to answer my question, that I left without actually getting an answer.
So I do not know if giving her some bendryl will be helpful or not? Will it help ease the inflammation until I can get her to our regular vet on Monday?