PEX plumbing opinions?

vgkgSeptember 30, 2010

Hi there,

I pretty much know the positives of PEX but what would you all consider to be the negatives of PEX plumbing. Thanks for all thoughts on this topic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadow700

Compatibility. There are many different PEX solutions out there and the components may or may not be compatible with each other.

Availability. Local availability can be hit-or-miss. The manufacturer that the local big box considers its darling this year might not be the same months or years down the line. This feeds into the compatibility issue above.

Initial cost. Crimpers and expanders (depending on which PEX solution you go with) are more expensive than a torch, flux, and solder.

Support. If things get hairy and you have to get a professional in, it might be harder to track one down who is familiar with the PEX manufacturer you chose.

Tasty goodness. Mice can't chew through copper.

That being said, I redid my house completely with Wirsbo PEX. Nothing but love for it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 4:13PM
cristoperjames

You can't use it for applications above 180 degrees F over 100 psi

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 4:53AM
vgkg

Thanks for the feedback, the mice thing didn't occur to me but fortunately we don't have a mouse problem. I guess my main concern is a catatrophic failure of some sort where a pex fitting just pops off resulting in a flood. I would hope that even a poorly crimped line would at least leak a little before completely failing?

I ran across some inexpensive leak detectors last year, one of which I placed under the kitchen sink where it warned me of the early stage of a sprayer hose leak. I highly recommend these in places where leaks might occur such as water heaters, washing machines, toilets, and other sink areas. Lowes has these @ $13 each but I stumbled across them on sale for $6 at a local discount store. One 9-volt battery supposed to last 5 years.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™