should I be happy with hp results

llamaJanuary 13, 2011

Just started heating the new pool with the heat pump (rheem 6300ti) 18,000 gal, central Florida. Got the water up to 85 in a week just running it 8 hours aday. Outside temp 40s nite low 70s day. Last 2 days lows in low 30s high only 51 today. Recovered only 3 degrees in 8 hours today. Is it worth running it on these cold days? Is this normal heating for a heat pump? thanks Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brentr_gw

Jeff, Are you using a solar cover? This is very important in keeping the heat. Your heat pump seems to be running fine. My heat pump is 109k BTU and I get a 1 deg rise every 28 mins, however my pool is only 6k gals.

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 6:51PM
racket

Seems find to me. Often times in colder weather you need to extend the pump run time to allow the heat pump to recover heat.

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 8:22PM
poolguynj

What brentr and racket said are very relevant.

A solar blanket helps by reducing evaporation. More heat is lost off the surface this way at night than anything. Without it, your taking 2 steps forward, 1 step back with an occasional 2 back.

Cooler days have less heat in the air for the HP to capture so it works less efficiently. Cooler but still sunny days also tend to have less humidity also, again reducing a system's efficiency.

Free form pools and solar blankets are a PITA. For these pools, solar rings seem to work well enough to keep most of the heat in. They aren't perfect but they are easy to work with.

Scott

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™