Labor cost for install of backup sump

stir_fryiSeptember 24, 2010

We had a Liberty SJ-10 installed with it's own line to the outside.

Charge was $850.

Seems high since I can find this pump online for $142 online.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

I am king of all trades. I'll do any job for much less $ than a contractor.

With a new line of pipe running outside and all the necessary fittings your total materials cost is maybe $250. Since I am out of work, I would only charge you $10 an hour, or whatever you say is fair for unskilled labor in your area. I would make a hole in your exterior wall with a hammer because I do not have all the fancy tools they use on TV. I would spend about a day working on your house, maybe two. I fix the hammer hole with spackel, caulk, or aerosol foam, the choice is up to you. You pay me $425 and I go away, never to be seen again.

Too bad you wasted all that extra money on the ripoff contractor. He'll just blow it on some stupid tool he can use to extort more $ from consumers.

Why would anyone hire a plumber with license and insurance? Just doesn't make sense if you know me! And I am everywhere!

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 11:33PM
jph1

This is tough due to the considerable difference in licensed labor charges throughout the USA. You most definitly want a licensed and insured plumber because they will be working on the most expensive investment of your life and the job will consist of electrical, water, drilling, and possibly be dangerous to the installer.
I would have gotten three bids and had the three companies come out to see prior to hiring for the job.
Research the company thoroughly before having them do the job.

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 6:46PM
shadow700

Did the plumber include the additional backflow preventer that is usually required by code?

Did the plumber use a second discharge pipe instead of Y'ing into the primary as required by the directions?

If the answers are "yes" and "yes", then you probably paid about right.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™