Counter overhang for seating along wall, versus island

Donya2March 14, 2013

Hello - I'm just starting a kitchen reno but needing to work with existing cabinets. Along one wall, to the right of a window/sink area, I will have four upper cabinets that total 69 inches. Unfortunately, my base cabinets to the right of the window/sink are only 63 inches (I'm reusing existing cabinets from the opposite wall and can't order new as the stain/model has changed). I'm wondering about possible options to even this up... putting a 10 inch or so counter extension with a little stool tucked under? Of course, you see this a lot on islands but I'm worried this will look a little strange along a wall. Extending the counter to match up with uppers but then building some shelves along the edge of the end base cabinet? I would love some ideas and pictures, or words of caution. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suburbanrancher

I actually like the idea of extending the end of the counter and putting shelves underneath. I think visually it would extend the base cabinets. The shelves would be a nice way to store cookbooks or really pretty/exotic dishes. I just don't think 6" would be enough for books but may be okay for smaller special dishes. I'm sure someone else will have better input.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 3:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laughablemoments

I like the idea of tucking a stool in there, too, especially if there is no other stool in the kitchen. It's always nice to be able to grab one and sit down. If your house is like ours, a stool gets a lot of action from our littles, and I'd love a dedicated place to tuck one away when it isn't in use. Depending on the style, a step stool that doubles with seating could go there and then be pulled out for reaching into the top shelves of pesky uppers (I'm kinda short.)

Is this in a good spot for a trash can? It would be so much less expensive to put a can under there in the opening than buying a trash pullout cupboard.

Here is a picture of book cubbies under a peninsula somewhat like you describe. It's in the comments section, the author is "Mid Mod Mom" http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/414525/list/Show-Us-Your-Kitchen-

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro step stool chairs

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
Can anybody plz recommend a custom cabinetmaker in South Denver area?
Hello! This is my first time posting; I'm in the first...
ponderosafarm
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™