Closets' doors; match walls, trim, or other color?

caroline94535April 8, 2008

There's one closet in my bedroom. It has a 3' wide bifold door. There's a pocket door for the room entry;it's normally closed.

The walls are sage; the trim is buttercream; the ceiling is white. The room is 11x14 with an 8' ceiling and medium oak floors.

Should I paint the doors the sage wall color, the buttercream trim color, or a different color altogether? The room has no "style." There's a beige wool area rug with sage and purple leaves by the bed; blinds on the windows (I plan to sew sage/purple panels); and a khaki bedspread.

What could I do to improve these doors?

Excuse the mess; it's a work in progress. Paint cans outside the pocket door and remodel supplies all over the mud room.

The wall color is too pale in the photo above; the one below shows them too bright. The real color is somewhere inbetween the two. The headboard will be replaced with something tall and dark, and the sconces will be replaced with bolder ones in black and nickle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
les917

I iknow I will get beat up for this, but I could see those as mirrored doors, and the woodwork around them done dark to compliment the headboard you are planning. I think it would give the effect of a standing floor mirror, since it is a narrow closet, not a huge one.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 2:11AM
graywritingdog

paint the door the trim color. IMO it would cause the eye to stop on the door if it were anything else. I think it's cleaner looking when the doors match the trims.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 2:31AM
daisyadair

I also think they should be painted the trim color. It's competing for attention right now with your headboard. Paint it and your headboard and lighting fixtures will really pop.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 8:55AM
kmcg85

I also would paint the doors to match the trim for a seamless look!

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 9:31AM
jerseygirl_1

You can paint to match the trim or the walls. Either will work.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Advice on blue ceiling please
I'm planning to repaint our living room sometime soon,...
jlc712
Is it possible to hang ikea curtains on a transverse rod?
I have curtains tht I would like to hang in my family...
kiki_thinking
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
My anniversary gift
Got a new piece of furniture the other day. Well sort...
the_foxes_pad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™