Backsplashes behind range

Kristen HallockMarch 14, 2013

My husband is trying to get me to consider have a full-height stainless steel backsplash behind our 36" range (probably a Bluestar). I love the look of a tiled backsplash, but I wonder if the stainless steel will be easier to keep clean.

Do you have to pick out a certain tile for behind a range? Something glazed so you can easily wipe it down?

Also, if you do choose a stainless steel backsplash, do you install that first and then tile the rest of the backsplash right up to the stainless steel?

This is probably going to be "my project" since he is doing everything else. I just want to know what I'm in for.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycbluedevil

I thought about doing a SS backsplash but instead opted for continuing my honed calacatta marble backsplash behind my 36" Blue Star with grill. I went with 6" x 18" tiles to reduce grout lines and I sealed the marble. I have been very happy with my decision not to do stainless steel behind the range. If I get a splash of grease or tomato sauce, I can wipe it right down. It is hard to imagine that stainless steel is easier to keep clean. It seems to me that grease, etc. would show up more on the SS than the tile and reaching over the burners to clean the SS would be awkward for me at least because I am not tall.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
Help, my new white lacquer cabinets are peeling!
Hello, We reno'd our kitchen 1.5 years ago and installed...
cece1213
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™