Stained doors, white molding?

msitaliaApril 19, 2011

We just moved into our house and the entire house has dark stained moldings and dark stained doors that are not in the best shape. All of the doors are 6 panel solid wood that we would be willing to have redone. I really love white moldings so here is the question - can you have dark stained doors and put white molding around it? If not, can you have white baseboard molding up to the molding around the door and then keep the molding around the door dark? What are your suggestions? I am not sure what will look good. I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresa2

A lot depends on the character of your house, the species of wood and how much work you want to do with stripping, staining and sealing. But, in general, I think white painted molding with stained doors looks awesome. I would keep trim consistent throughout, either paint it all or stain it all.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 11:29AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Stained doors and painted trim is a classic look. The reverse never looks right, IMO, and the combination of baseboards painted and casings stained would be really odd.
Casey

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:00PM
itltrot

Not my house borrowed from Houzz.com

entry design

traditional entry design by dc metro kitchen and bath Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

traditional entry design by seattle architect David Neiman Architects

contemporary entry design by toronto photographer Peter A. Sellar - Architectural Photographer

traditional staircase design by chicago general contractor Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers

traditional staircase design by chicago general contractor Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers

but I think stained doors and white trim look awesome. I've have the 3 entry doors into my house stained with white trim. Rest of the doors are painted white. I'd like to change them but it's not a priority since none of the interior doors can be seen from the exterior doors. No one's noticed they are mistmatched. Or been rude enough to comment. LOL

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:32PM
jillinnj

Stained doors and painted trim is beautiful and classic. Check out the link below. Go through the pictures of this house. There are a few with stained doors and painted trim. I think it looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained doors with painted trim

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:35PM
msitalia

Thanks so much for all the feedback and pictures. I couldn't find pictures to get an idea of what it would look like but now I see it will look great. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:58PM
mjsee

Goes MCM too:

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:03AM
CEFreeman

I am so glad you posted these pictures!

I have 14 pocket doors that are hung with 6-panel, exterior maple doors. Nice and heavy. They're also unfinished.

I have replaced 3 of them with French doors (before I close in the walls) and love all of them. I couldn't decide whether or not to paint or stain! My reasoning was becoming that I could always paint stain, but couldn't stain paint.

Now, I'm going to stain them and paint trim. Cabinet Coat here I come! :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:25AM
cliff_and_joann

ms, our daughter has all cherry doors in her house
with stained molding, it looks gorgeous.

her mud room

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 3:48PM
cliff_and_joann

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 4:03PM
chocolatebunny

I don't have any pictures but one of my neighbors just painted all the trim in her house white, and she has oak stained doors. It looks really nice.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 4:33PM
jessicaml

My parents had mahogany stained doors with white trim in my childhood home. They did recently replace them with white paneled doors, though.

I hope no one minds if I piggyback on msitalia's question to ask a related one of my own. Do the doors into a room need to match the closet doors in that room? My parents offered to give me 3 of their aforementioned mahogany doors that are the right size for our bedroom/bathroom doors (one of which has a cat door cut into it). That would make the closet doors a different (fake) wood-tone, so I'd likely paint the closet doors and trim white. I originally thought I'd paint the mahogany doors white, too, but now I'm wondering if it would be okay to leave them stained.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:14PM
CEFreeman

jessicaml, I'd use them.
Could you afford 3 mahogany doors? :)
If they're older, chances are they have some great character.

I have French doors in one room, but a regular door into the main part of the house.

If anything, take one of them and make a great, huge table like they do on HGTV. [LOL]

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:18PM
aktillery9

I did this in my old house and in my new. Here is a photo...

Those are some yummy photos that others have posted too!!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 5:50AM
jessicaml

Christine - I don't know how much character the doors really have, I believe they're only 30 year old hollow core veneer, but they are much more attractive than our current doors! I think I'll take them up on it and see what it looks like. Thanks for the feedback!

(My inspiration photo of BM Sail Cloth from http://radiofreeanne.wordpress.com/ with the same color wood door as my hand-me-down doors)

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:23PM
itltrot

I happened to mention to DH that I would love to start replacing the painted interiors with stained like we did for the exterior doors. He said he figured the was coming and he was okay with it!!

I thought it would be a battle. Yay me!!

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Colored crystal chandelier
Does anyone have good pics of colored crystal chandys?...
bossyvossy
What wall color with these woods?
Helping a friend on her bedroom. Right now the wall...
debrak_2008
JeNu Infuser anyone?
I just saw this product and it looks awesome. However...
Holly- Kay
Hardwood floors and adjoining room, help please
We are sanding and staining the wood in our living...
jtaime2
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Plumbing Salient 60 in. x 36 in. Single Threshold Shower Receptor in
Home Depot
Milo Bronze Three-Light Dome Canopy Bell Jar Pendant with White Frost Glass
$382.50 | Bellacor
Solid Brass Wave Design Doorstop
Signature Hardware
Plafonet Ceiling Flush Mount
Lightology
Fresca Fresca Pulito Small Teak Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Tall Mirror
Hudson Reed
Safavieh Poolside Brown/Bone Indoor/Outdoor Polypropylene Rug (6'7" Square)
Overstock.com
Faz Arm Chair with Lucite Base, Patio Furniture
$185.00 | FRONTGATE
Design Element B72-VS Stanton 72-in. Double Bathroom Vanity Set - B72-VS
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™