Shocking the Well - Best Procedure?
We need to shock our well, and we have received varying advice as to the best procedure to use.
The quick advice seems to be: "Just dump a gallon of bleach in the well and turn on all the faucets for a while." Sounds pretty simple, but in a thread I started on this topic in "Building a Home" forum a while back, responses seemed to indicate it was a little more involved than that.
It would be so helpful if someone could give us a basic, step-by-step procedure to do this simply and effectively.
Such as, is a gallon of bleach the right choice? Some people mention tablets, some mention chlorine.
How long do we need to run the faucets? In addition to flushing every toilet, spraying through the kitchen sprayer, are there other water lines we are forgetting about?
Are we supposed to run a garden hose from an outside faucet, in order to keep the bleach out of the septic? Then what about flushing the toilets?
When is it safe to drink the water after this procedure? The reason we need to shock the well is we tested positive for total coliform.
We have found ourselves confused with the different advice we have been receiving. Can anyone out there clarify things for us?
Your help is greatly appreciated!