Blackout blinds for french doors

skrulApril 11, 2013

Hey all --

We recently had some cellular blackout blinds installed to darken our bedroom. These work great in the windows, but the installer hung similar blinds on the french doors -- and here they are less effective:

Too much light leaks through the sides. The problem is that there is too much distance between the blind and the door. As you extend the blinds they stretch out and get thinner, moving farther and farther away from the door.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to block the light coming through these doors? The installer suggested something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_209214-424-BWM226404_0__?productId=3064727

...but I don't think this will be very attractive. I like the pull down blinds since when they are open they just sit near the top of the windows and you hardly notice them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

cheers,
-steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skrul

Thanks for the reply. The picture I linked in my original post is a post-install picture -- this is what we have now but we need to change it. And you are right, it takes a little finagling to get the base of the blind around the handles when pulling them up and down.

We are trying to avoid changing the curtains since we really like them :) But it is still an option.

I had also considered roller shades since it seems like they have the best chance of getting very close to the doors. Are there any types of roller shades that do a better job at this than others?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:58PM
graywings123

Mine are by Comfortex, the cheaper division of Hunter Douglas. The shade is 1 inch from the door as it comes off the roller at the top. IMO, this isn't much of an improvement over what you have. When I was shopping for them, I researched the standoff of several shades, and these hugged the wall the closest.

It wouldn't cost that much to have a seamstress sew blackout lining onto your drapes.

Here is a quick shot of my roller shades. My ceiling fan is moving them in and out, but you get the idea.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:21PM
skrul

Thanks for posting that photo, and you are right, this is not much of an improvement. Maybe I can get some light blocking film for the windows to cut down on the amount of light that comes through...

Too bad there does not seem to be a good solution to this!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:34PM
camlan

No matter what you put on the doors themselves, there will be some light leaking around the edges.

Can't you just close the curtains that are there now? Looking at your picture, you can see that the edge of the curtain is blocking the light where it overlaps the shade.

If the existing curtain/shade combo doesn't block enough of the light, they sell blackout liners, or you could have someone add a blackout liner to your panels.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
Credenza for mcm home
I have been searching for a credenza for the tv in...
rockybird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™