more rigidity to stainless sink after new faucet

homeboundSeptember 2, 2011

I'm installing a Grohe kitchen faucet with pull-out spray, and there's a bit too much play in the sink when operating the faucet. Any suggestions for making the rim area stiffer? I'm considering sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood (sealed) between the underside and the retaining nut mechanism. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If the faucet is properly attached with clips to the counter (check underneath to see if a clip is missing), then the culprit is the gauge of the sink. Adding wood is a bad idea and won't help with the issue. Replace the thin 24 gauge builder's grade sink with something more substantial like an 18 gauge, or even a 16 gauge if you can find it.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 3:56AM
brickeyee

"I'm considering sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood (sealed) between the underside and the retaining nut mechanism. "

Get a piece of angle iron wide enough to have a hole for the faucet mount cut.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 12:01PM
asolo

I know exactly what you're describing.....and agree with both hollysprings and brickeyee. Inasmuch as the sink's already in, would probably go with brickeyee.

However, if you have a disposal also -- which may give you the same grief in a different way -- might consider re-doing with heavier guage a-la- hollysprings.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 5:15PM
KT23

Go with a heavier guage sink. It will cost more in the beginning but you'll be happier with the final product. I have found with my own experiences that when I try to modify something like that, it's easier and better to just go with a better product unless you can't get your sink out without a total counter top remodel.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 9:44PM
homebound

Thanks all. For this job, angle iron it is.

This would be a tough sink replacement anyway since it was installed prior to setting the counter and is really shoe-horned in the cabinet with no clear shot to some of the clips. (And I'm not in the mood to empty cabinets, remove island counter with 45 degree entension, recaulk, etc. for a family freebie.)

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 3:18PM
davidro1

I would use iron too. i would paint the iron with antirust paint.

You might find angle aluminum in your hardware store. Good enough.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 6:41PM
asolo

I have nothing but respect for davidro1, but....do NOT use aluminum from your hardware store. It does NOT have the lasting strength/rigidity you will need.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 8:48PM
davidro1

If it's 1/8th inch thick, it's good enough. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 10:40PM
davidro1

Rereading the OP, about sandwiching a wider piece of hardwood to give some rigidity, I think it might be adequate to use a few paint stirrer sticks as a trial and see if that suffices. They are about 1/8th inch thickness also. The wide nut under the faucet will spread the forces over a wider area. It seems the OP has a stainless sink with a wide flat top where the faucet hole is. The sink metal needs a little bit of extra support between the faucet's nut and the edges of the too-wide sink rim.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 6:35AM
brickeyee

A flat piece f thin wood will add a minimal amount of stiffness.

You need material that is above the surface you are trying to stiffen to do much good (thus angle metal).

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™