Which one to Buy: Watts or Grundfos Hot Water Recirc Pump?

CigarLoverSeptember 15, 2011


I'm installing a new HE 40 gallon electric water heater (we don't have gas) & want to install a hot water recirc pump at the same time. We have a few long runs in the plumbing so I think this product will help get hot water to the fixtures quickly. From what I see on the market these two (Watts & Grundfos) seem to be the leaders in this market. I don't mind spending a little more to get the best as I want it to last, perform & not give me any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions on these two pumps? Thank you in advance...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you have room under the farthest sink from the water heater and an AC outlet the Laing Aurocirc is the best choice.

Have one that's 10+ years old and never skips a beat. Only runs when water temp drops for less costly operation and less wear and tear.

Search this forum or Google for info.

    Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Be sure to insulate your pipes including the return pipe or it will get expensive.

    Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 10:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


The Grundfos, Watts, and Laing Autocirc do not use a return line as a conventional recric pump does. They are a retro-fit design and work quite well.

You can read up... http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manuals/laing_act303btrwbtw_Manual.pdf

    Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 10:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hey guys thank you for the feedback so far. I have not heard of Laing pumps. I will look up the companies web-site to see the pumps they offer. The 110 outlet under the sink in the bathroom may be an issue. We already installed an outlet above the water heater location for a new pump to go there?

    Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The main difference between the Watts-Grunfos and the Laing Autocirc is that the Watts-Grundfos is a 2 piece design with the pump at the WH and the temp manifold at the farthest sink and the pump runs all the time or on a timer set for periods of use.

The Laing Autocirc is a one piece solution installed at the farthest sink from the WH and the pump only runs when the temp at the that farthest faucet drops to a set temp.


If you search this forum for Laing Autocirc or Autocirc you'll see a number of threads.

    Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 6:31PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™