home remedy for urine smell

philmont_2006November 20, 2006

Hi, I saw on this site a while back that someone had a home recipe for removing cat urine and dog urine smell, but I can't find it. We have tried and purchased ALL the brands people are talking about and it hasn't work. The carpet and pad are long gone so for the past year we have had subfloor in our living room......help...

Thanks Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkyquercus

If you're talking about the smell the animals can smell but we can't a 50%/50 mix of white vinegar to water. If you're talking about a smell that we can smell I don't know what to tell you, I'd shampoo the carpets or hire a steam cleaner to do it and if it still stunk, I'd put in new flooring.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 4:56PM
measure_twice

Enzyme cleaners work, but if the urine is in the subfloor, the enzymes may not be able to reach it.

Solution is to remove and replace the stained sub-floor. Alternative is to cover the stained subfloor with a waterproof barrier, then put down whatever flooring you want, and hope the smell does not penetrate the layers.

We have multiple dogs and have pretty much replaced our carpets with hard flooring. We have a few small area rungs.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 8:24PM
mboston_gw

Our puppy class trainer suggested Apple Cider vinegar. Test first on carpet, of course. She said to use full strength and let air dry. I have used it on tile floor and the only negative was that it seemed sticky to me.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 11:09PM
Lillie1441

Is this the one you were looking for?
In a plastic container mix:
12 oz. hydrogen peroxide
1/2 tsp. dishwashing liquid(not dishwasher liquid)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
Mix all ingredients together,multiplying the amounts of each if needed. Pour on the affected spot,allow to dry thoroughly then vacuum any residue. Shampoo carpets and furniture if possible. Can be poured into a spray bottle for use on drapes and upholstered furniture,etc. but do not store any remaining liquid in the container,(or any container) as it will burst. If using on carpets be sure to saturate the affected spot all the way to the pad and allow to dry.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 12:15AM
philmont_2006

thanks much, the one from 1411 is the one I remember. Before I take out the subfloor I think I will just wait until this old dog dies....
Thanks Dave

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 1:56PM
lovetogarden

Dishwasing liquid and bleach. Fill a pail with water, add a squirt of each. Works great!
Isn't sub flooring porous? If it is nothing short of removing the sub flooring is going to work.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
Bentley & Olivia
olivia has settled in so well with a flawless transition,...
Ninapearl
My dog will not eat or drink, throwing up bile. Help!
Hi, I was hoping somebody could offer some advice with...
joe313
Sponsored Products
Woodbury Root Wood Urn - Large
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Kichler Elara Antique Silver Mirror
PLFixtures
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Paisley Beige/ Multi Rug (8' Square)
Overstock.com
50 Suzani Folded Notes with Personalized Envelopes
$144.00 | Horchow
Hand-tufted Stage Gold Wool Rug (9'9 Round)
Overstock.com
Maison Candle Jar
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Trump New York White One-Light Sconce
$116.00 | Bellacor
Allison Solid Brass Pull
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™