Pool Shape

Ray72January 3, 2013

Having a hard time picking our shape. I love the look of a bowed kidney but my wife likes the traditional rectangle. Any one do either and have regrets or have thoughts on either?

We are vinyl, 8 feet deep with no land issues. Bids are $3000 more for the irregular shape. It will be fenced but not enclosed in NW FL.

Thanks!
Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alyx_c

We have a irregular shaped pool and we are building a rectangular pool in our vacation home now. I love our odd shaped pool but I have found that trying to buy a solar cover or any type of cover for it is difficult and much more expensive. To make the rectangle look special (sounds boring to just have a rectangle) :-) we are putting in a tanning legde with side to side steps going down to the rest of the pool and a sheer descent waterfall. We are also using copper colored glass mosaic tiles.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:21PM
MiaOKC

Personally, I like the geometric shape of the rectangle better. I think it is like anything - trends will come and go - free-form/lagoon-like is in right now, rectangle/geometric were popular before, and they will probably come back in like bell bottom jeans and shag rugs. We have an odd T-shaped, 35K gallon pool and any kind of cover (solar, safety, leaf) are all just outrageous. I wish we had a simple rectangle, it would save a lot of trouble.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 5:28PM
MiaOKC

I also vote that rectangular is more contemporary looking, so perhaps the style of your house may be influential in the shape you choose.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 5:29PM
mongoct

I have a kidney shape, it nestles up against a curved stone retaining wall. I do like the shape, the curve, etc. Only thing I wanted was a nice 40' straight run with a bit of perpendicular wall at each curved end for swimming laps and flip turns.

It's an informal pool in a sort of informal setting. Muted pool colors, etc. Lots of trees around.

If you have kids, a rectangular is better for pool sports. Volleyball, etc.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:59PM
muddy_water

Try looking at a Double Roman End pool it should not cost you that much to upgrade to this shape because of the panels not being as curved. I build more of these than any other shape and some brick coping or flagstone to dress it up...

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Modern Gold Wash Basin
maestrobath
Z-Lite 2-light Island/ Billiard Light
Overstock.com
Grout: Custom Building Products Adhesives & Fillers Commercial #22 Sahara Tan
$11.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Amherst Indoor/ Outdoor Grey/ Light Grey Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Matsinc. Rugs Barepath Oxford Blue 3 ft. x 30 ft. PVC
Home Depot
Darlee Series 60 Cast Aluminum 21 x 42 Rectangular Coffee Patio Table
$256.99 | Hayneedle
AHB King Chair - 100610SD-S.1
$499.95 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Blue/ Beige Diamond Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™