Pool Shape

Ray72January 3, 2013

Having a hard time picking our shape. I love the look of a bowed kidney but my wife likes the traditional rectangle. Any one do either and have regrets or have thoughts on either?

We are vinyl, 8 feet deep with no land issues. Bids are $3000 more for the irregular shape. It will be fenced but not enclosed in NW FL.

Thanks!
Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alyx_c

We have a irregular shaped pool and we are building a rectangular pool in our vacation home now. I love our odd shaped pool but I have found that trying to buy a solar cover or any type of cover for it is difficult and much more expensive. To make the rectangle look special (sounds boring to just have a rectangle) :-) we are putting in a tanning legde with side to side steps going down to the rest of the pool and a sheer descent waterfall. We are also using copper colored glass mosaic tiles.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:21PM
MiaOKC

Personally, I like the geometric shape of the rectangle better. I think it is like anything - trends will come and go - free-form/lagoon-like is in right now, rectangle/geometric were popular before, and they will probably come back in like bell bottom jeans and shag rugs. We have an odd T-shaped, 35K gallon pool and any kind of cover (solar, safety, leaf) are all just outrageous. I wish we had a simple rectangle, it would save a lot of trouble.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 5:28PM
MiaOKC

I also vote that rectangular is more contemporary looking, so perhaps the style of your house may be influential in the shape you choose.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 5:29PM
mongoct

I have a kidney shape, it nestles up against a curved stone retaining wall. I do like the shape, the curve, etc. Only thing I wanted was a nice 40' straight run with a bit of perpendicular wall at each curved end for swimming laps and flip turns.

It's an informal pool in a sort of informal setting. Muted pool colors, etc. Lots of trees around.

If you have kids, a rectangular is better for pool sports. Volleyball, etc.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 10:59PM
muddy_water

Try looking at a Double Roman End pool it should not cost you that much to upgrade to this shape because of the panels not being as curved. I build more of these than any other shape and some brick coping or flagstone to dress it up...

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
New Pool Build Conroe TX
We're very excited to get started on our new pool with...
kands
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™