Toilet Overflow Mold Danger?

youngndomesticatedSeptember 30, 2008

Hi all,

So, recently one of our 2nd floor toilets overflowed and some of it leaked into our heating vents. The amount of liquid that seeped into the vents was probably half a cup (before I managed to contain the overflow via towels and clothing). The liquid that did get through, ran down the vent ended up seeping through a crack in the kitchen roof drywall, and the heating vent in the basement.

Once all the liquids stopped flowing, we pretty much ran everything through with Clorox Bleach and/or dishwashing detergent. We also cleaned

Should I be concerned at all with sediments of fecal matter developing into mold in the drywall and heating vent?

-- And just FYI (don't know if this matters): living in Chicago, we will be approaching the winter season, so our homes will be quite dry during that season. Not sure if this will prevent mold from developing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris8796

I wouldn't worry about it. The microbes in your fecal material are bacteria and evolved to live in your warm moist colon. They will not survive without moisture. You should just dry the area thoroughly and as soon as possible to prevent mold (just as you should with any water leak). I would even run the heat (or just the fan if it gets too warm) for a little while just to be sure. Luckily, there is a cold front moving through the area.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™