Powerful Shower Head!

MercerMSeptember 17, 2013

Hi, I'm looking for a main shower head with a forceful spray. I don't care what kind it is as long as it is powerful. I can't spend more than around $125, and the lower the cost the better.

I've heard that the flow restrictors can be removed from Grohe shower heads. Does anyone know if this is true in 2013 in the US? Some members of my family have long thick hair and it takes a long time to wash out the shampoo unless there's a forceful spray. I'm all for conserving water but when it takes twice as long to shower...

I'm also looking for a hand-held and am wondering what type is best, i.e. on a slider or wall-mounted.

I'm also going to post in the bathrooms forum.

Thanks a bunch!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

A plain chap Speakman is all you need.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 3:12PM
compumom

Speakman are great so is Grohe. Flow restricters removed with ease in 2006. Both give a great shower. Grohe is better styled.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:21PM
aidan_m

I prefer to drill a small hole through the flow restrictor. Removing it completely can cause too much water flow, to the point that the shower floods out the bathroom. Sometimes the drain can't keep up, and you're standing in filthy water up to your shins. The water conservation regulations of 2.5 gallons per minute is plenty. I consider that an ideal shower, even 2 GPM is adequate.

A 1/8" to 3/16" hole drilled through the flow restrictor is the way to go. First I drill the 1/8" hole, measure the results by timing how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket and then possibly enlarge the hole slightly until the flow is right around 2 to 2.5 gallons per minute. Of all the times I've done this, the 1/8" hole has not yet resulted in too much water flow. Removing the flow restrictor completely often does result in too hard of a shower.

Another problem with the flow restrictors is the way they are designed. The thing is designed to clog up. The manufacturers are fine with this because it helps sell more shower heads, and the flow restrictor is required by law to save water. Isn't it funny how every time we pass laws regulating the way things are made, the manufacturers just use it as an excuse to make an inferior product?

With the little hole drilled through, the thing never clogs up. So your shower has the same flow and pressure for years, rather than gradually getting weaker and weaker.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™