Cost to replumb 1400 sf house w/2.5 bathrooms?

cinnamonsworldAugust 3, 2010

We have a house built in the 1950s with some old water pipes - we're going to get estimates for a complete replumbing and I'm wondering if you have any cost guidelines to advise. (And is that w/copper or some other kind of pipe?)

It's single-level, raised foundation (crawlspace), has a kitchen sink, bar sink, outdoor shower, sprinkler system, and 2 bathrooms (1 has shower, 1 has tub). Leave off faucets cost but assume all lines to them are being replaced. (No sewer-line replacement.) This is in Southern California, with a plumbing company that has been reasonable in the past.

I know costs can vary but any guidelines you can cite would be helpful. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mvmartin

We're remodeling our 1200 sq ft 1924 Bungalow (adding a 2nd story) in Northern CA (Oakland). We're having the 1st floor replumbed with copper pipe (up to fixtures). 1 bath, kitchen, all the external hose bibs (no W/D since that's being moved upstairs). Everything accessible from a decent size crawlspace underneath.

The plumber doing the remodeling work quoted me $2000 for this extra work of replumbing. I had another quote from a well-respected company a few months ago to do this same replumbing work for around $3500.

This doesn't include cost to change the main line coming in from the city water main. We need to change that to a bigger diameter pipe (1") since it's undersized. That is additional, and the quote is around $1800, which includes work to jackhammer and replace some of the sidewalk.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 1:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cinnamonsworld

Thanks - we're hearing in the ballpark of $5k, maybe less when the final estimate comes in.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™