Faucet Shank Extension?

azwildcats70August 2, 2010

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I bought a two hole 8" spread bridge faucet. Our plumber told us tonight that we need to buy a new faucet because the shanks are too short for the thickness of our granite.

So, depressed and looking for a new faucet - I come across faucet shank extensions.

Has anyone ever used faucet shank extensions? Where do I buy them? Do they leak? Why didn't the plumber tell us about them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depending on the brand of faucet you have, the big-box stores might carry the shank extentions you need.
Properly installed, the shank should not be a leak problem. You may find, though, that with the extension installed the counter is not thick enough without spacers (usually plywood or the like) placed between the underside of the counter and the securing nut.

    Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Has anyone ever used faucet shank extensions?

Yes, I used them in my last kitchen.

Where do I buy them?

Wherever you bought the faucet should have them. Home Depot has them, as well as the usual online sources, such as efaucets and plumbersurplus.

Do they leak?
Shouldn't leak if installed correctly. I used extensions from the same manufacturer as my faucet, but I don't think that is necessary in all cases. The extensions will be slightly larger than the shanks on the faucet, so make sure that the extensions will fit in the holes in the granite.

Why didn't the plumber tell us about them?

It's possible that he realized that they would not fit, but my guess would be that the plumber didn't like the quality of the original faucet that you purchased. My experience with plumbers is that they would like to install products that they trust, so that they don't get called back to fix it later. Can't blame them for that, and as the end user I would want something that the plumber recommended and would stand behind.

    Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What your plumber is saying may be true, however, this type of faucet connects to the water supply at the bottom of the valve body and have a side connection to the spout.
I would ask if the valve is penetrating both the rough top and the counter top or just the counter top. If both, would removing an area of the rough top, leaving only the counter top penetration, cure the problem.

Usually when a stem extension is necessary, there can be a problem with the faucet trim.

    Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 5:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

DH went to a plumbing supply place. He got a something and a nipple... sorry nipple is all I can remember but it was two parts.

    Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 10:16AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
Sponsored Products
Avanity Lexi 30" Vanity Set With Integrated Porcelain Top - Light Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Egyptian Yellow Marble Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Legend Series 51 in. x 66 in. Framed
Home Depot
Antique Copper Whitehaus WHKBCR3-9106 Deck Mount Cross Kitchen Faucet
$679.00 | Blue Bath
Vigo Amber Sunset Glass Vessel Sink and Waterfall Faucet Set
Kraus Arcus Single Lever Bas-inch Faucet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™