dishwasher installation

rj56August 10, 2011

Am wanting to replace an 18" cabinet at the end of the run with an 18" dishwasher. The current cabinet is beside the sink. Will this be as simple as pulling out the cabinet,drilling a hole in the sink base for plumbing and hooking it up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Assuming that you have the required electrical outlet and you connect both the water and drain lines per code, you are correct, it is as simple as that.

    Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

the "hole" to drill in the sink cabinet is at the top of the cabinet, near the counter. You can also cut an opening. It does not have to be a hole.

This is the height you will need to make the drain hose go high before it goes down to connect into the sink drain pipe. It's called a "high loop". One other method is to have an "air gap" above the counter. These are the two alternatives you have. The drain hose must go upwards in either case. Web search the terms if you have questions.

    Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 10:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Okay. Not sure about electric. There are outlets above the counter, but there needs to be one below the sink? I just wanted to make sure it was possible before going any further with the plan. Thank you!

    Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

To see how much electric current they draw, look at the specs of DW's. Look online. PDFs.

You need a circuit, not a plug. A circuit from anywhere other than from the above counter circuits.

    Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What you need is a dedicated 120v 20A circuit

    Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 12:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is pretty unlikely that there is a nearby circuit that you could legally tap to run a dishwasher off of. It is a pretty big current draw and there are very specific rules about electrical in kitchens.

You most likely will need to pull a new wire from the electrical panel up to the cabinet. You also need a disconnect within site of the appliance. That can be a switch or a plug. (many dishwashers don't come with a plug, so you may have to buy one separately if you go that route)

Also, by "drilling a hole in the sink base", I hope you mean drilling a hole in the base cabinet. If so, yes, that is what you do - near the top. You'll need to buy some new drain parts for your sink though. They sell little tail pieces with the dishwasher drain connection built in. It is unlikely your sink has one already if you don't currently have a dishwasher.

    Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

jilljohn i forgot to write out that the Electrical forum is the best place to continue this discussion. Believe nothing about electricity until you have gotten answers over there. Believe none of the answers above, not even mine. This is serious, not a joke, not funny. The answers above are all good, in a sense, but they all need more work too. A forum for Wiring + Electricity is where you get comments that sculpt the answer for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrical forum + wiring

    Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Am wanting to replace an 18" cabinet at the end of the run with an 18" dishwasher. "

What is going to support the end of the counter?
The DW will not do it.

You will also need an end panel to cover the side of the DW.

    Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:25AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™