Question about removing a toilet

edweatherAugust 28, 2012

I need to remove a toilet to inspect a waste line. I think the toilet is original to the house, which means it might be 25 years old. Is there a wax seal or something I need to replace when I reinstall the toilet, or can I reuse the existing one? Thanks. Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Wax rins are not re-usable...you need to use a putty knife and remove as much of the old wax as you can from both the bottom of the bowl and the top of the flange, then install a new wax ring.

After 25 years its almost certain that the old mount bolts will be corroded and extremely hard to get off...I usually loosen them a bit then use a mini hacksaw to reach under the bowl and cut the bolts...then install new bolts...

The good news is that you can get both the wax rings and new closet mount bolts at any hardware for under $10.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather

Thanks. I'll report on how it goes. The bottom line is that I have a nice toilet that just doesn't flush very well. I've replaced all the tank guts, and even cleaned the little holes under the rim, and run some muriatic acid through it....but it still flushes poorly. I really want to take it off and get a good look at what's going on before I buy a new one.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™