Sudden High Indoor Humidity & Funky Odor

CariolaAugust 29, 2013

For the past 3-4 days, the humidity in my house has been really high, like 70-75%, even when the air conditioning is running. I've also noticed a funky odor when I come inside after being away for awhile--kind of like a sewer/garbage odor. What could be going on and who should I call for help? This is scary, but I don't even know If I should be calling a plumber or someone else.

I just had the blower for the A/C replaced about three weeks ago, and about two weeks ago I had blown-in insulation put into the walls and the cellulose insulation in the attic topped off to get it up to current code depth. The home is a brick duplex, one story, built on a slab, with an electric heat pump in the attic. Could any of that stuff be the cause?

Help, please! I'm really worried that there might be a sewer leak under the house or something worse. I'm just hoping I don't have to drain my retirement savings . . . what kind of contractor do you think could find the source?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

It sounds like you have water inside your ductwork. I'd first check the area around the blower to make sure the condensation is being properly drained.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™