Backwater Preventer for heavy rains/flooding?

organicsueAugust 23, 2011

I am starting to look into this as we've been experiencing some crazy rains lately -- the last rain was about 8" and I noticed sediment in my basement tub that was left behind by the backing up water. So can anyone tell me what types of backwater preventers there are; any one particular kind stands out? Any I should avoid? I am a newbie with home issues and would appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Make sure you can even install one.

They are not allowed under some codes.

They catch debris and clog easily, or fail to close as desired from debris.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:09AM
lazypup

The first step is to determine how storm runoff is getting into the sanitary sewer system. With some extremely rare exceptions it is illegal to connect downspouts or other storm drains to a sanitary sewer line.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 1:34PM
brickeyee

"With some extremely rare exceptions it is illegal to connect downspouts or other storm drains to a sanitary sewer line."

The problem is often in older communities that at one point allowed storm water to be discharged into the sanitary system.

In one house I used to own (built in the mid 1950s) the basement perimeter drains, including an outside door drain 4 feet below grade and under-slab drain lines had all been legally connected to the sanitary system at the time.

The restrictions arose when sewage treatment came into use, but the old connections are normally grandfathered.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:01PM
ionized_gw

To add to the historical perspective by brickeye, some older municipal systems combined transport of sewage and surface run-off water. When it was not raining, everything went to a rudimentary sewage treatment plant. When it started to rain when the flow got to a rate that overwhelmed the capacity of the plant, everything went directly into the river or lake. The theory was that the great dilution is the solution. Water pollution standards changed.

When a second system was built, it was built for surface water and street drainage went to that. The combined systems were retained for waste water and hooked to fancy treatment plants. Old individual properties were not required to reroute the run-off. They might still discharge surface run-off into the sewage treatment system if the connections were not revised during some renovation.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™