Toilet runs, stops, runs, stops. Any ideas?

sue36August 12, 2008

The toilet in one of my bathrooms, a Kohler Memoirs, will run for a few seconds and then stop. And then a little while later it does it again. It's happening more and more often and has happened at least 3 times in the last hour. It hasn't been flushed in at least 4 hours. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

your flapper is leaking water into the bowl. once the tank gets low enough, the valve opens and refills it. then the process starts over again. turn off the shut off valve, add some food coloring tot eh water in teh tank. wait an hour, if the bowl water starts to turn colors, then the flapper is bad or getting a bad seal.

if you use those toilet cleaner "mints" that go in the tank, remove them and toss them in teh garbage. they are bad about causing flapper issues.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 5:28PM
homebound

He's right.

Several flapper options in the stores. I like the "Bull's eye" flapper.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:22PM
lazypup

davidandkasie... I wish you had not told them about those hockey puck bowl cleaners. Those things make me a lot of money. Not only do I get simple service calls to replace flappers that went bad prematurely, I charge an extra $35 when I find the blue ones in the tank. That charge is my compensation for having that blue die on my hands for the next three or four days...LOL.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 1:17AM
davidandkasie

yep, a friend called out a plumber on Saturday cause her toilet would not stop running. turned out to be the cleaner disc had broken a chunk off and held the flapper open partially. she paid 100.00 for the guy to pull the disc out and toss it in teh garbage. then she got mad at ME cause i never told her about this.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 12:36PM
sue36

Thanks everyone. I think the flapper might not be seated properly (is that the term?). It now seems to have healed itself. We don't use those toilet bowl cleaner things. But we've been having a major issue with grit from the well. I think some grit in the toilet bowl (they need to be shopvaced out) might be the culprit. Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 7:18PM
schreibdave

I had the same problem, but it wasnt the flapper. It was the plastic refil tube. It had a crack.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Sponsored Products
Luxury Toilet Seat - Mahogany
Signature Hardware
White Wood Bathroom Floor Cabinet
Overstock.com
Loft Collection Euro Toilet Paper Holder
Signature Hardware
Tissue Pod in Pink
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
KOHLER Toilet Tanks Devonshire 1.28 GPF Toilet Tank Only with Right-Hand Trip
Home Depot