Greensand Iron Filter

jgoodishAugust 8, 2011

I have a well water supply that is heavy in iron--you can smell it when the shower runs (metallic smell) and see it settle to the bottom of a standing bottle of water. It is also staining toilets, etc. orange.

The analysis results show around 5mg/L of iron and 0.22mg/L of manganese. Water flow rate is estimated at around 5gpm based upon timed tests done at a wide-open sillcock. No other water test anomalies noted.

A manganese greensand filter system (based on the Fleck 2510) was recommended by both a local water expert and Ohio Pure Water Company, but I am unsure on how to size the system for most efficient operation. Also, there is a cartridge filter just off of the well pressure tank which quickly becomes clogged with orange--should I retain this downstream of the iron filter, or just leave it off of the new installation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JKG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjh2o

a greensand filter will never work on a well that is only producing 5 gpm. The media is too heavy and the system will fail in a short time. Most iron filtration systems require a 5 gpm backwash flow rate just to regenerate. A sediment pre-filter will reduce the flow rate also. I would suggest removing the pre-filter and using an air injection/oxidizing filtration system. There are systems that draw the air directly in to the filter tank so all the precipitation happens there. These have birm or a multi-media blend in them for precipitant removal. Which is much more efficient with less maintenance. A 10x44 tank back washed every other day should work just fine.
RJ

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 1:11PM
aliceinwonderland_id

There are several options available for iron removal. The system rjh2o suggested is only one of them - there are others that work as well or better, depending upon your situation. In order to find the best fit for you, rather than taking a one-size-fits-all approach, we need to know more about you and your water system.

1. Do you have a pressure tank installed, or does your well pump kick on each time there is demand for water?

2. If you have a tank, at what pressure does your well start (the low-end pressure) and at what pressure does it stop (the high-end pressure).

3. What size is the water line entering your home?

4. How much space do you have available to install a treatment system?

5. Are you in a temperate climate or do temperatures drop below freezing at times?

6. How much time do you have to devote to a treatment system?

7. How would you characterize you knowledge and comfort level with mechanical parts and chemicals?

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 8:26PM
jgoodish

To answer some of the questions:

First, this is not a primary residence. It is a climate-controlled building which is occupied for a few days at a time every 2-3 weeks.

There is a pressure tank installed. The well pump is rated to 12gpm, but off hand I do not know the pressure numbers.

The water line is 3/4".

There is some space in the utility room which contains the well pressure tank, a small hot water heater, etc. There's enough space for a resin tank and a chemical tank, for example, but not much more.

Thanks,
JKG

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™