Rusted pipe - need advice

thomaskuhnAugust 11, 2012

I am helping my brother put new sink cut off vlves on his bathroom. When removing one of the valves, we noticed first that the pipe was iron (tested with a magnet), and second that is was coroded on the bottom so that most of the threads were gone. This is an old beach home built in 1956 and we knowthat the majority of the piping is copper, but we do not know where this iron pipe came from. The other pipe is is good condition.

So how can we repair this pipe? What is it attached to behind the wall? We are hoping that we can vice grip it and unscrew it from whatever coupling is behind it. Does this seem feasable? We want to avoid cutting out the plaster in the bedroom to access the area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

1956 was when galvanized steel for DWV lines was in common use.

Some supply lines also.

While there are ways to patch up the rusted out pipe if all you have to do is some plaster repair you probably should start learning how.

The odds of getting a short rusted section of galvanized steel out of the next fitting (and a new piece of anything screwed into it) are not good.

    Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 5:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like some good advice. I think it would be beter to replace too. I t sould not be too hard to open up the wall on the back side and learning a new skill never hurts (except the pocket book).

    Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 7:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Use Easysand to repair the hole.

The so called 'patching plaster' is a bad joke.

Is the wall wood lath or gyp?

If you are careful cutting out either the piece can be used to help make the repair.

Gyp is easier than wood though.

    Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:21PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
PEX... Is a manifold necessary?
Getting ready to build a house and currently talking...
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Sponsored Products
Illumine Wall Mounted 4-Light Black Wall Mount Lantern with Clear Watered Glass
Home Depot
Sovet Italia | Slim 10 Dining Table, 63x35 Inch
All-weather Number Art #4
Grandin Road
Metro Brown Faux Leather Bed
Space Vase - Set of 3
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Albert Right Chaise
Design Within Reach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™