Information on undercounter/recessed sinks?

puzzlefanAugust 22, 2012

I would like to have an undercounter sink installed in the new house. The builder is trying to convince me otherwise as he thinks the labor cost would be too much. If the counter top is cut to fit I don't see a problem. How are they installed and can they pose a water problem? If damaged can the sink be removed from underneath so as not to damage an expensive counter top?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Undermount sinks are extremely common and if done properly, have no more issues than top mount sinks. They are an additional upcharge from the counter fabricator because the cutout has to be polished, and the sink attached correctly. The charge usually is from $200-$300 for that service, in addition to the more costly sink. Installation requires clips, brackets, or a cradle to hold the sink to the counter. Only hacks just "glue" the sink to the counter without additional support, and that perhaps is the reason the builder has had negative experiences with them.

As far as replacing the sink down the road, yes, it's possible to replace the sink with the exact same model as long as the sink cabinet itself is actually large enough to accommodate the sink you choose. I actually had a client whose husband had a firearms accident that shattered a silgranite sink on an install less than 6 months old. It required the sink to be replaced, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 3:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What is the counter material?

Anything that can be damaged by long term water exposure is an issue.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™