Bathroom Sink pipe to wall broken

frankt999August 1, 2009

Hi all.

I came across this site doing a search for a problem I have, and the people here seemed very helpful, so I thought I would post a question and see if anyone has some valuable advice.

My bathroom sink was clogged; no drainage at all. I let the draino sit in it overnight, but still no effect. In the morning I went to use a small snake to clear the clog, but it poked a hole through the bottom of the trap; it is very old and corroded.

I'm not a handy person, but thought I could change the trap. When I went to loosen the clamps holding the trap pipe on, the straight pipe going to the wall broke! I applied almost no pressure, but it must be pretty corroded to to have broken so easily.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about damaging the pipe BEHIND the wall (which I think is cast iron), so I'm wondering if someone has any suggestions about attaching something to the straight pipe going into the wall that is now broken. There's about 5 or 6 inches of it left, along with the broken bend part.

My brother said this straight pipe is galvanized.

I've included three links below to photos showing:

1. The trap pipe with the hole in the bottom (sorry about all the gunk, it was like that when I bought the house 11 years ago).

2. The break on the pipe going into the wall.

3. The best shot I could get of the fitting of this pipe going into the cast iron pipe behind the wall.

I'm not that handy, and just don't have the $$$ for a plumber right now, so any suggestions would be appreciated. My main worry is damaging the pipework behind the wall; that would be devastating at this point.

Image 1 --> in pipe.jpg

Image 2 --> pipe to wall.jpg

Image 3 --> to wall base.jpg


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The pipe to the wall looks like rotted out galvanized steel pipe that was lead & oakum sealed into a cast iron fitting.

You are probably going to need to remove everything back to the cast iron, then use a 'donut' to put in a new nipple from the cast iron.

The horizontal run from the trap to that will use a ring nut on the end of the new pipe to seal the arm of a p-trap.

The trap then attaches to the arm and the drain from the sink.
It is pretty likely that the sink drain is also rotted out and will need to be replaced.

You can do the work in chrome plated brass if it show, or PVC if it is hidden (or you do not care about the PVC showing).

The donut is likely to be found only at a plumbing supply house since they come in many sizes depending on the inner and outer dimension of the hub they need to fit and the pipe that enters.

    Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 11:05AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection
Hello, I decided to put in a water softener system...
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
Sponsored Products
Design House Madison Centerset Lavatory Faucet - 525832
$127.99 | Hayneedle
4 Tap Hole Deck Mounted Bath Shower Mixer faucet
Hudson Reed
Hinkley Lighting 5703CM Ashbury Chrome 3 Light Vanity
Littman Bros Lighting
Reflections 2 Light Vanity Fixture
Trimmer Solid Soft Lake Green Toilet Seat
River Belle Collection Chrome 22" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Apaiser | Solar Bathtub
$6,846.00 | YBath
Fairmont Designs Lifestyle Collection Bowtie Linen Tower - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™