Faucet handle issue

missers1295August 16, 2010

We are in the middle of our master bath remodel. I had a new faucet and plumbing installed for our roman tub (Moen Eva). The handles are to sit flush on the deck without an eschutcheon ring. Well there is a space between the deck and the handles (the faucet is mounted correctly). My contractor insists there should be rings and I know there aren't (and to try and satisfy him and get him to listen to me I called Moen). Moen told me to cut down the stem extenders. He cut down one a bit and it still looked the same. Is it possible the rough-in valve is too high? They will have to rip off some tile but I don't care, I want it right. A plumber (not the contractor in question) put in the valves, but I want to know what I need to tell them to do.

I apologize if I used any wrong terms. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Perhaps a picture would help?

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 10:11PM
missers1295

Here's a picture. The toilet isn't in the tub anymore. LOL It's just the best picture that shows the issue.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 8:11AM
homebound

If they are snugly installed, the handles should screw further down. Try grabbing the wide part with your hand and turn it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:33AM
homebound

Directions below. Cheers.

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instruction_sheets/INS1184.pdf

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:35AM
homebound

BTW, good idea to remove them and smear some plumber's grease on the threads first.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:42AM
missers1295

Thank you for the instructions, but I all ready had them and provided them to the plumber and GC. We also have grabbed the wider part and continued to turn. Where they are right now is as far as they would go, they won't go down any further. So I am still thinking either the stem extensions are still too high (but the handle with the one cut down looks exactly the same as the other handle) or there isn't enough room for the handle to screw down all the way. Ugh.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 10:32AM
homebound

Whatever it is, it's repairable from above. Looking at #6 of the instructions, maybe someone didn't turn the cartridge before they installed the handles...or maybe the cartridge is not fully inserted or screwed in. Just a thought, esp. since I've never seen a plumber read all the directions. Not that don't, per se. Anyway, good luck.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 10:50AM
missers1295

They still need to do the sinks and sink faucets (we decided at last minute to go ahead and get new vanity cabinets so that added a week or so). So when the plumber is back for that, I will have him try what you suggested. The water runs fine it just looks like crap. Thanks. Any other thoughts are appreciated as well.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™