Poorly installed stall shower tile

k9arleneAugust 7, 2012

My daughter had a leak in the ceiling below her shower stall. The tile guy came, replaced the shower pan, the tile on the shower floor and about 2 feet up the wall of the shower. There's no leak anymore, but instead, after showering, there's standing water almost around the entire perimeter of the stall. The guy said he would "fix" it, but I'd like to know what the proper "fix" is before I let him in the house again. He's already been paid the full amount! Any advice, opinions, help from someone knowledgeable would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

You will get more help in the bathroom forum, but briefly:

It sounds like he did not properly slope the floor. A shower floor should be sloped 1/8 - 1/4" per foot toward the drain for proper drainage. There should be a preslope, followed by pan or liner, followed by bed, followed by tile. No slope = no drainage. No preslope = water buildup in your tile and eventual failure.

Here is a link if using a membrane: http://www.ontariotile.com/kerdi-showerpan.html

The other link is if using a traditional liner

Here is a link that might be useful: shower floor with liner

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
sagosto
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™