best root killer?

dedtiredAugust 18, 2011

I had the main drain from my house cleaned out this morning and also got a video (with souvenir cd!). I've had a root problem for many years. I tried a new drain cleaning company this time and they did a far more complete job than the one I used in the past.

They recommend putting root killer into the system twice a year. Can anyone recommend an especially good product? I'd love to be able to go a few years before having to have it cleaned out again. What has worked well for you?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Are the roots coming from the top or the bottom/sides? If from the top, you need a foaming root killer. The root killer, any root killer, will never solve the problem, just postpone it - eventually the line will need to be replaced.

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 5:53PM
dedtired

Pretty much from all around, according to what I saw on the video. The plumbers said the pipes are in pretty good shape. The roots are getting in through the joints.

Is foaming root killer something I can apply myself?

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:21AM
aliceinwonderland_id

Yes. There are instructions on the container. Just be certain if you flush it down the toilet (as per the instructions) that you do so quickly to avoid a foam monster taking over your bathroom. If you have a clean-out it can be poured into, I would use that.

There are a variety of brands you can find - as far as I know they all use the same chemicals, but strength could vary. Just google it - you will find what you are looking for.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 10:33AM
dedtired

Yes, I do have a vent on the front lawn. If I'm dealing with foam monsters, I'd rather do it outside. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™