Pex stub out

skiman29August 24, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm remodeling my upstairs bathroom and will be removing the old plumbing.

I just need ideas on how to stub out my pex in the existing location and somehow stabilize it.

I'll probably come out of the floor with a short chrome nipple, then to a supply valve, then to a 1/2" line.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

They make a fitting called a "drop ear 90" which is a pex connection on one side and a 1/2" ips (iron pipe size) female on the other. The "drop ear" indicates that there are flanges through which you can screw it down. Excellent piece. Readily available! I've used them on my current remodel of baths, laundry and kitchen and they are easy and secure.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:44PM
skiman29

I debated about getting one of those fittings, but I wouldn't be able to screw it to anything. Unless I built a little ledge out from my floor joist.

What if I went with a 1/2" pex to 1/2" female ips, screwed in a short 1/2" brass nipple, then went to a brass 90, then went to a chrome nipple, then to my supply valve?

I would secure or strap the brass nipple to the floor joist, kind of like they did in the picture above.

Too complicated?

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 6:57PM
jackfre

You are looking at it. You get to decide. I can see the picture but understand your concerns. Either will work. The real deal to me is that you have the lower piping secured so you can take that chrome trim nipple and with a strap wrench be able to tighten it sufficiently to prevent leaks and not have the torque twist the pipe.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™