Recirc loop, tankless heater, problem with direct home run

drtechnoAugust 19, 2010

Hi all

We are going with two cascaded Navien 240A tankless water heaters, and are concerned about the problem of waiting long periods of time for hot water. Now I know the A versions have a recirc tank which should help decrease the time of delivery, but I don't think we can run a recirc loop in our house, which I just realized.

We are plumbing a direct home run system with manifolds, and therefore, any recirc loop will only take care of one run. In typical plumbing, the wait time for hot water is reduced as hot water lines off the recirc trunk are ready to go. However, in a home run system, there are no common trunks... only the recirc loop run will have 'instant' hot water.

Am I correct in thinking that, since the home run system only heats one trunk, it is useless in decreasing hot water delivery time in other trunks? I think its the same problem even with the Navien A models, in that the cold water in the direct home run trunk needs to be purged prior to hot water arriving.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

You are correct, but you will have hot water at least to the manifold decreasing the time it takes to get from heaters to it. The benefits of home run systems is smaller pex pipes to each fixture. Smaller pipes mean less water thus the hot water will get there faster than a conventional piping system.

Many will only recirc to the hot water manifold, especially if it is located a distance away.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Sponsored Products
Edge Office Chair in Red
$129.00 | LexMod
Parker House - Boston U-Shaped Desk with Credenza in Merlot -...
Great Furniture Deal
Roderick Ceiling Flush Mount
Lightology
Ralph Lauren Holden Chevron Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Safavieh Area Rug: Hampton Green/Light Blue 4' x 6'
$96.97 | Home Depot
Rugged Brown Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hudson Dining Table - 3660T-29-4TTL-NC
$352.67 | Hayneedle
Rod Pull