Outdoor dog urine smell...

lee280zxNovember 17, 2011

Hello--

I sit dogs in my home near San Diego. The smell of dog urine in my small backyard has become a problem.

My yard is not landscaped. I tore everything out when I bought it, and haven't decided what to put back there. Right now it's just dirt. My neighbors tell me our yards are decomposed granite. It's dry, light beige-colored dirt. It's not clay or rich soil or anything like that.

We get very little rainfall here. When it does rain, or when I try to hose everything down (thinking it will cause the urine to soak in), the smell gets much, much worse (especially if it's a hot day).

I plan to put a fast growing sod in the yard and water it frequently. I know the dog urine will cause dead patches, but this stuff will come back. I'm hoping the sod might somehow help with the smell.

I've read that the smell comes from bacteria that digest the chemicals in urine and release gas that has an ammonia-like smell. I guess that's what I'm smelling. I presume that I could spray a bunch of watered-down bleach on the dirt, but, of course, that wouldn't be very eco friendly, cost effective, or good for the grass I intend to eventually plant.

Does anyone know what I can do to lessen or get rid of the urine smell? Do you think the sod will help? I'd really love any suggestions (and yes, I am seeking lessen the amount of peeing in the yard).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I've used lime, aka soil sweetener, to cut down the odors in dog runs but I'm not sure how well it will work on the type soil you have. http://www.gardenguides.com/99762-use-lime-rid-dog-urine-odors-soil.html

Your easiest solution may be to buy an enzyme used specifically in dog kennels. I've used the one below on concrete and inside the house and it works.
In addition to using one of the products mentioned, I think what will really help is to use an oscillating sprinkler daily in that area of the yard. It will slowly dilute the urine and allow it to migrate into the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: odormute

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 11:34AM
cynthia_gw

or Sweet PDZ from the farm store. I like it because it's granular and safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet PDZ

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 10:14PM
lee280zx

Thanks, annz and cynthia.

I've ordered some Odormute and am going to check my local feed store for the Sweet PDZ.

Do either of you have experience with these products?

Thank you,
Lee

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Bentley & Olivia
olivia has settled in so well with a flawless transition,...
Ninapearl
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
Sponsored Products
Hardy Island Bronze 3000K 30 Degree LED Landscape Spotlight
Lamps Plus
Transitonal UL-approved 1-light Black Outdoor Wall Light Fixture
Overstock.com
Purple Face Sun Wall Art
$19.99 | zulily
San Pietro Tiered Fountain by Campania International
SerenityHealth
Landmann Copper Scroll 30 in. Round Fire Pit - 28472
$279.99 | Hayneedle
Avoca Braided Outdoor Area Rug
$395.00 | FRONTGATE
Quoizel Hillcrest Craftsman-Mission Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Forest Green 8.5' Square Market Polyester Umbrella w/Hardwood Pole, Manual Lift,
Fifthroom.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™