Gator type connectors

big_al_41August 1, 2014

I think that's what their called .. they are like a push on fitting that has O-Ring inside and teeth that grab the copper pipe. I have a sink to install in the garage and I don't solder well . My question is have you used this type B4 and will it hold up to temp changes ( mild swings ) I know solder is the way to go... just wondering ..thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grubby_AZ

The days of copper and solder are numbered, but since they still sell oakum and lead bars, that may be a while!

The only problem I find with a push on fitting is it will want to rotate easily. That can be a little disconcerting to someone trying to shut down a right angle stop that has that sort of connection. However, they don't get used much that way, just sitting there being forever open.

I have never had a leak with one; the seal is as good as the o-ring, so de-burr well if you cut tubing with a saw (highly NOT recommended). I'd also think the copper tubing would need to be not dirty or distorted. Throw away your torch!

edit: can't spell to save my life.

This post was edited by grubby_me on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:33

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:29PM
jakethewonderdog

Thanks, I'll hold on to my torch.

Push on connectors have their place... (not sure what that is...but they have it).

Solder connectors are much cheaper, and they more solid - both mechanically and water tight. I'm not going to put a push on connector in a wall and close it up.

I think you will see copper slowly go away in general plumbing. It will still be used for high temp, and refrigeration and such - but unless the cost comes down, I think it will be replaced by CPVC and PEX in residential use. Until that happens, I'm using soldered fittings.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:48PM
hippy

The fittings are called SharkBite . I have never had a problem with them or saw and leak.

Anytime I replace a water heater that is hard lined with CPVC, Copper or PEX. I install it using SharkBite Flexible Water Heater Connectors. I will even use them on new installations. Makes the next water heater swap a breeze.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 4:51PM
big_al_41

Thanks everyone !!!

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™