PEX crimp type; which is best?

jscozzAugust 2, 2010

I browsed through the posts on here and saw some similar questions, but no details on what the differences are between copper crimp rings or stainless cinch rings... is there any difference in quality, easy of use, cost for parts, etc.?

I am not a professional... I need to do some maintenance where a professional plumbed the shower backward (PEX with stainless crimp rings), and some new plumbing on the same system...

Can anyone shed some light on the two crimp styles in the areas of quality of crimp, easy of use, cost, availability of parts/tools at local supply houses or HD/Lowes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jscozz

As a follow up to my own question... after more research, it appears that with the stainless cinch rings you only need ONE tool for all size pipe/rings... is this correct? Any it appears that Lowes sells Vanguard cinch rings and all the fittings as well as cinch tool... so, I guess my big question is, is the connection made by a cinch ring as good as a connection made by a copper ring crimper? Are there any issues with the cinch style that would make me want to not use them?

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 1:57PM
jstamanva

I dont know if its after the fact but I personally prefer copper crimp rings. They are my choice as Ive done plumbing for over 10 yrs and have never had an issue with the copper crimp rings. I was able to buy a tool that does all 3 standard sizes for pex 1/2 3/4 and 1 inch online for about 50 dollars then. Now I think its a tad more. Im not crazy about a cinch type ring but thats just me..

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 9:02PM
jimsonburg

The copper crimp rings are pure annealed copper and it is coded color for easy identification. The rings for PEX tubing are either solid black or copper colored with black "PEX" clearly on the side, while the rings for PB tubing are solid copper colored. The copper crimp rings are usually composed of copper, a soft metal that flexes and bends under ressure. Generally PEX clamps are constructed of stainless steel metal. But both rings require special tools for installation. The copper crimp rings is slightly easier to install than the stainless cinch rings. The stainless cinch rings system is slightly less expensive than the copper crimp ring system.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)
Hello, I recently moved into a home that uses well...
djt511
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Sponsored Products
New Pakistani Red Super Veg Dyed Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 2x6 Geometric Rug H5887
BH Sun Inc
Woodson Leather Sofa - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Girotondo Pop Small Basket by Alessi
$43.00 | Lumens
Jan Bell 'Succulent' Floral Canvas Wall Art
Overstock.com
Side By Side Giclee 16" Wide Semi-Flush Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Molten Lace Vase - GOLD
$485.00 | Horchow
Wilshire Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion, Patio Furniture