Dog throwing up

cathie_2010October 23, 2010

I just got a 2 1/2 year old female Eskimo Spitz. The previous owners fed her stictly cat food. I started her out with hard dog food and then added some canned dog food. After about a week she started throwing up at least once a day. The vet told me to put her on a diet of boiled chicken and white rice. I tried that and she seemed to be doing quite well. Now I can't get her to even try dog food again, and she seems not to want the chicken and rice anymore either. Any ideas on what to feed her? I have tried all kinds of dog food: Science Diet, Iams, Eukunba, Pedigree, Mighty Dog. I am at a loss.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deb18

If she isn't eating anything, a trip to the vet is in order. It sounds as though there's more going on than just not liking her food.

Once a medical issue is ruled out, I linked to a site that rates dog foods. You can choose any of their top rated foods, but any dietary changes should be made slowly. Sudden changes will often make a dog sick, so you should gradually add some of the new food to the old until she's eating only the new. Once she's fully adjusted, it doesn't bother most dogs if you add small portions of other foods to their basic diet as long as the majority of their food stays the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog food analysis

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Hyperthroid Cat Ear Gel - Handling Precautions?
Anybody used this? Did you follow the handling instructions...
lifeflower123
Cat,s ears causing misery
we adopted sweet kitty (8yrsold) just 6 wks ago. Took...
dancingirl_gw
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Advice on trapping a stray cat
My husband and I have been feeding a lone stray cat...
honugirlhawaii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™