What would cause goop in sink drain and stopper?

arkansas_girlAugust 20, 2010

In my bathroom sink, I noticed it draining kind of slow so I immediately grabbed up the stopper and pulled it up out of the drain and it was covered with a globby goop. When I say covered, I mean thick with it, it was probably 1/4 in thick all over the entire length of the stopper. It was kind of light orange in color. What in the world would cause this? The only thing we use in the sink is Soft Soap, the antibacterial one that's orange. Then of course toothpaste. Other than that it's just the cleaning product I use that is usually just scrubbing bubbles. Could that soft soap goop up a drain like that? That's disgusting! I have never ever seen this happen before in all my years of using soft soap. I just cannot think of anything else we would be washing down the drain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Over time, toothpaste "wash" + bacteria.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 12:49PM
arkansas_girl

I have to say I've used toothpaste my entire life and I've never seen anything like this! It had really not been that long since I pulled the stopper up, maybe a couple months. So it took maybe two months for this goop to form.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 2:37PM
llaatt22

Might be slime mold. Also check your toilet tank inner walls for a slight coating. If your wash basin has an overflow outlet chamber that has one or two drains below the stopper that is another hangout.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™