Problem...Tankless Water Heater and Occasional Low Water Pressure

kawh707August 14, 2013

Help! We recently got a tankless water heater. We were really happy with it, until we realized that it seems to freak out when the watter pressure drops low. We are on a well and, when watering the gardens, the water will drop low. When the pressure drops, the heater seems to cycle on and off...on and off... constantly for the duration... even though we are not using hot water. The installers came out and installed a valve(?) of some sort which was supposed to cure the problem. However, this evening is heard it cycling on and off again, even though no hot water was being used. Yikes... seems like it will be 1) hard on the heater 2) using a lot of electricity 3) possibly using a lot of propane to heat. (though I'm not sure the gas is going on and off as well.
Anyone know what we need to have done to cure this???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Sounds like you need a bigger pressure tank for the well.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 2:51PM
jackfre

I used to represent Rinnai in my business. I had this happen with phantom operations and was really puzzled at first. What is happening is you are drawing water from other parts of your domestic system and creating negative pressures in, at least, the area of the water heater. When the pressure neutralizes or goes positive the incoming water is then turning the turbine wheel in the cold water inlet causing the unit to "phantom fire".

I agree that the tank is undersized or the pump isn't putting out the water. It isn't the tankless' fault. It is only reacting to what itis seeing.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 7:57PM
dadoes

My electric tankless unit occasionally activates when there's cold water flow somewhere in the house ... especially when the washer shuts OFF its cold valve after running a spin-spray or rinse fill ... as per Jackfre's explanation above.ÃÂ I hear the relay snap, then it snaps again after about 1 min when the unit deactivates, since there's no hot flow that actually occurs or is maintained. It doesn't cycle on/off repeatedly ... just once on and off.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 9:02PM
kawh707

thanks much for this information. yes, we do need to get a bigger tank for the well.... however, this problem has been solved with a pressure valve near the tank. wish i could tell you more specifics...but i can tell you that the installer tried putting in a valve (he heard that this would cure the problem) and it didn't help at all. when he returned after a few weeks, he decided to call rinnai again, and he talked to the right person. he needed a bigger valve of some sort.... installed it... and it fixed the problem! i'm so happy about this.... and we will work on getting the well in check as soon as po$$ible!

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
PEX... Is a manifold necessary?
Getting ready to build a house and currently talking...
rmverb
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Sponsored Products
Fire Sense Stainless Steel Table Top Patio Heater
$119.99 | zulily
EdgeStar AP14001HS 4,000 BTU Portable Heater and Air Conditioner Combo w/ Dual H
Overstock.com
Stadler Form M-006 White Max Fan Heater
Overstock.com
Lyons Industries Bathtubs Classic 5 ft. Corner Front Drain Heated Soaking Tub
Home Depot
Capri Patio Heater
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Steam Spa Oasis Package for Steam Spa 10.5kW Steam Generators in Polished Brass
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™