escutcheon or plate or both?

hifixerAugust 28, 2011

I live in a condo and want to change the shower faucet and valve. A plumber told me that a larger hole would have to be cut in the shower wall around the valve to gain easier access to it. After the valve is replaced a large plate would cover the hole. My question is: would the escutcheon go over the plate or would the plate replace the escutcheon? Do the plates come in different finishes so that I can pick any finish I want for my fixtures?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not sure about the finishes for remodel plates, but if existing one works, you should look into trim kits for that model instead. You need to know the mfr, then call their customer service and describe how your fixture works (eg "pull and turn, or just turn, etc) and they can help. Good luck.

    Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi, When a valve is replaced a large hole is cut to replace the valve. The plumber will purcase a smitty plate that is designed to work with the type of valve you want ie. single hole or three hole. The smitty plate will be bigger than the hole that was cut. The escutcheons will fit on the plate. I have seen plates made of plastic or stainless steel.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

    Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 5:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™