I am stuck with cabinets- need to order - need help!

thedorkMarch 23, 2013

I am desperate - I go back and forward between more modern and more transitional style ( I have golden oak 1950's hardwood floors and the house is not very modern ).

I love walnut but it's expensive and want to see your opinion on what would and stain should I pick for a slab door cabinets. I am not sure why but I am not a big fan of the shaker unless it's white and I don't want white kitchen.

I don't want a lot of grain on the wood ( would prefer more sleeker look ) and I don't want super dark stain.

I don't like raised doors so I am stuck... Please help - share pictures of your projects.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltgirl

Have you gone to Houzz.com and perused their file of kitchens? You may get a heads up there.
Also, birch is a pretty smooth wood with not too much grain and makes for beautiful cabinets. How about a simple raised panel door?

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:31PM
Iowacommute

I would look at Karin_mt's kitchen I have it linked below. My parent's have birch slab cabinets as well (their house was built in '63), and I think it can carry many styles well.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karin_mt's kitchen

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:26PM
SparklingWater

Slab doors and drawers in maple, birch or select oak with a good stain finish seems a possibility here.

Have you looked at the many semi-custom and custom cabinet makers who now produce what is called exotic veneer finish in a slab door? Kind of like what Coco Chanel reproduced in her kitchen, or at least part of it? It's a nice look for the right kitchen.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:31PM
thedork

Thank you for your tips! I am looking for something more darker than that with possibly white quartz counter tops and green but not glass subway tile.
I am meeting with a cabinet maker this week-end. I see a lot of people on houzz do cherry with stain for slab doors - we'll see this Sat.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
What do you think of leathered surfaces? and why?
So I did my first foray into a granite yard today....
lawjedi
Odd Shaped Kitchen Remodel
I cross posted this in the Design Dilemma forum, but...
sdp123
xenon light bars for under-cabinet
based on what I saw in the lighting showroom my electrician...
lmgch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™