I am stuck with cabinets- need to order - need help!

thedorkMarch 23, 2013

I am desperate - I go back and forward between more modern and more transitional style ( I have golden oak 1950's hardwood floors and the house is not very modern ).

I love walnut but it's expensive and want to see your opinion on what would and stain should I pick for a slab door cabinets. I am not sure why but I am not a big fan of the shaker unless it's white and I don't want white kitchen.

I don't want a lot of grain on the wood ( would prefer more sleeker look ) and I don't want super dark stain.

I don't like raised doors so I am stuck... Please help - share pictures of your projects.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltgirl

Have you gone to Houzz.com and perused their file of kitchens? You may get a heads up there.
Also, birch is a pretty smooth wood with not too much grain and makes for beautiful cabinets. How about a simple raised panel door?

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:31PM
Iowacommute

I would look at Karin_mt's kitchen I have it linked below. My parent's have birch slab cabinets as well (their house was built in '63), and I think it can carry many styles well.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karin_mt's kitchen

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:26PM
SparklingWater

Slab doors and drawers in maple, birch or select oak with a good stain finish seems a possibility here.

Have you looked at the many semi-custom and custom cabinet makers who now produce what is called exotic veneer finish in a slab door? Kind of like what Coco Chanel reproduced in her kitchen, or at least part of it? It's a nice look for the right kitchen.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 3:31PM
thedork

Thank you for your tips! I am looking for something more darker than that with possibly white quartz counter tops and green but not glass subway tile.
I am meeting with a cabinet maker this week-end. I see a lot of people on houzz do cherry with stain for slab doors - we'll see this Sat.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Any reason not to do runnels in marble?
I'm still working on my sink and countertop decisions....
crl_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™