boozy fruitcake?

Fori is not pleasedDecember 4, 2012

I have a boozy fruitcake recipe that works well--it's the sort of thing where you soak the fruit in rum/brandy/something proofy for a while before baking and then add more booze periodically until you eat it. Standard stuff I think.

But!

I would like to make it in little loaves to pass around this Christmas (I know it's late already) and I'm not sure how to deal with the feeding (watering?) of the cake. I have little waxy paper loaf pans and little ceramic loaf pans and I'd like to give the cakes in these pans. I guess the ceramic ones aren't bad--just add rum and cover? But will the paper loaf pans work? Will they just get soggy? Do I need to remove the paper pans? Can I deliver these cakes sort of dry and just suggest adding booze if needed? I've found it to be pretty good with just the initial drizzle and if I don't need to "age" it, I can put off baking it even longer.

Do I absolutely have to do the cheesecloth thing to be proper?

What do you do? Or are you too smart to give away fruitcake? :)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay_Corbel

Why not make individual christmas cakes? Top them up with your booze, then cover with jam, marzipan then icing

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:11AM
colleenoz

I don't think Americans do the iced Christmas cake thing, Islay.
Fori, I'd go with drizzling the cake daily just a bit. That way the cake will absorb the rum/brandy and it won't even touch the sides of the pan :-)

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:45AM
Fori is not pleased

Unfortunately we don't to do the iced Christmas cake here. It sounds really good. And probably would do wonders for fruitcake's bad reputation. :)

I will try the daily gentle drizzle. I guess if the paper tins get soggy I can peel them off and put the cake in a new one for presenting--I have a stack of those.

And if they all turn out bad, maybe a giant fruitcake trifle for Christmas dinner!

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:34AM
colleenoz

"And probably would do wonders for fruitcake's bad reputation" No it wouldn't. The marzipan is nice but the icing is vile. I don't know anyone who doesn't pick it off and discard it.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:52AM
jxbrown

Knock them outof the paper pans, wrap them with foil, annoint them with booze now and then. Pop them back into new paper pans for wrapping.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:07PM
cynic

I can't help but think of Col. Potter. "Fig Newtons and Scotch. They're great when you dunk 'em!"

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:14PM
pkramer60

When I read the title of the post, my first thought was "Yup, I work with a few".

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:11PM
Fori is not pleased

Col. Potter was a culinary genius!

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 11:45PM
Islay_Corbel

Colleen, I love icing. That lovely lemony tang!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 3:02AM
teresa_nc7

I don't care much for regular fruitcake, but once-upon-a-time I had a boozy variety that contained only cake batter, pecans and whole candied cherries that had been soaked in bourbon. When you chomped down on a cherry, you got a little "shot" so to speak! I've never forgotten that cake.

Teresa

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:44AM
Why_not_me

Get a pukka syringe from your local vet, dentist, or doctors office, and use that to syringe the booze into the cake. Shove the syringe in fairly deep, and withdraw it slowly as you depress the handle.

The booze will distribute evenly through the cake, leaving no soggy patches.

I have discovered that one can get a LOT more booze into one's fruitcakes using this method. :)

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 7:17PM
Rusty

Teresa_nc7, I make a cake like that every year.

I would be glad to share the recipe if you,
or anyone else,
is interested.

It's a bit too late to make it this year, though.
It really needs to 'age' at least 6 weeks.

Rusty

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:41PM
Fori is not pleased

The squirty fruit are the best part! Unfortunately my dad LOVES the icky plastic fruit so I have to substitute a tub of that for some real fruit but it's still pretty good--soak them long enough in molasses and liquor and they are inoffensive.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™