Replacing shower valve and handle

truthtransAugust 19, 2013

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I recently bought my first home and the original owners took the shower/bath valve and handle when they left. I have no idea why. Anyways, I bought the valve I need and now just have to get the handle and flange. Right? Is there any other parts that I am going to need to replace the handle?
I've contacted the builders of the house and they were able to send me an email containing the brand name and model number of the trim kits(?) they installed. Here is what they sent me. "Tub/Show PP JX8-310A valve w/J89-A85Q chrome trim"
I've found a match to the model number on ebay and was just wondering if someone could take a look and tell me if the kit has everything I will need to replace the handle?
Here is the link....
If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it!!! Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was about to say "yes, looks good, kit is complete", but then noticed that you said you "bought the valve you need". What does that mean? did you buy a new valve and have it installed?

It seems that you are either matching trim to the existing valve that came with the house, so presumably that ebay trim is right, Or, you bought the valve separately, and now you would need to make sure you buy trim that fits the new valve (if it's a different model#, mfr.#, etc.).

BTW, are you sure the valve is original, or were the previous owners in the midst of replacing it, but never completed the job? Does the installation look original or recent? How old is the house? Some things to consider.

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 7:50

    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry I wasn't clearer. The house was a foreclosure and it looks like the original owners kind of tore off the handle because the screws and part of the plastic of the valve stem were still connected to the old valve. The original valve is still in there they just took out the valve stem or cartridge(?), I think it's called that. I have the valve stem (the one that matches what the builders emailed to me) that I am going to put in to replace the one the original owners took with them. Does that make more sense, or no? Sorry, I know it's a bit of a confusing mess.

    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sort of. Sounds like it needs a cartridge (and whatever holds the cartridge in place) and the trim package.

    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:03PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™