Split Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix?

SweetTartOctober 8, 2006

I have 3 dogs (2 shelties and 1 cocker spaniel) and buying heartworm and flea products can get quite expensive.

I buy Interceptor Spectrum for the shelties and a generic type of Heartgard for the cocker spaniel to prevent heartworm.

I use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks-- I buy an extra-large and use a syringe to divide it among the three dogs. It was working great, but lately, I've been finding fleas on the shelties.

I found online that sometimes fleas can become resistant to the Frontline (they're still rendered sterile, so they won't reproduce). They recommended using Advantage or K9 Advantix occasionally to get rid of any resistant fleas. (I've also used Capstar to kill any that are on the dogs.)

My question is: Has anyone tried splitting a large vial of K9 Advantix among multiple dogs? It certainly does save a LOT of money. My sister said that her vet had told her that splitting the Frontline is fine, so hopefully it will work with Advantix as well.

Any advice or input will be appreciated! My dogs have been flea-free for 5 years on the Frontline Plus. I suspect that the squirrels are bringing in the fleas this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rthummer

O.K. How do you split it? Like I have two dogs that are 55 lbs. and 9 1/2lbs. Are you saying buy the one for the bigger dog and split it or what? I'm not quite sure I understand. Would I not o.d. my smaller dog and u.d my larger dog? Please explain. I am all for saving money and find this interesting, and if it would work would be willing to try it as long it wouldn't hurt.

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rthummer

Oh, and by the way, try these websites below for your frontline or k9 advantix. Someone suggested this on one of these threads. Much savings. Took less than a week to receive supplies I ordered.

https://www.vetshoponline.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/site.home
http://www.petsuppliesnet.com/shop.htm

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
special food for cat's renal failure?
My 15 yr old male cat Jagra has now got kidney problems...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Help me please!
Hello everyone I need some advice! I've had my beautiful...
azuresnow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™