Kinetico vs Culligan sediment filter

drtechnoJuly 31, 2012

Hi guys

I am putting in a sediment filter in my house, dual gradient density cartridge. I have quotes from both Kinetico and Culligan, with Kinetico being 50% more (several hundred dollars). It appears to me from the literature that both use Pentek filtration/filters. I am pretty sure both are just the "big blue" filter housing.

Is there a reason to spend more ? Are there different types of big blue housing ? (the inlet sizes and dimensions are the same)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Get a Big Blue 4x20 filter housing and you can use any of the industry standard cartridges. Don't go for the cheaper pacific rim knock-offs of the Big Blue... buy the real thing and avoid unpleasant and costly surprises..

Depending on the plumbing SFR you might need to use two Big Blue 4x20 housings in parallel to get sufficient flow rate.

When you install, insert a 1/4 turn ball valve so you can cut flow when changing cartridges and install a pressure gauge before and after the Big Blue housing so you can monitor pressure loss across the filter and will KNOW when to change the cartridges.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:17PM
drtechno

Got it. Thanks for the advice.

I have to figure out now if I want one or two 4x20 housings since the pressure drop across one is 1psi at 20 gpm, which isn't very much of a pressure drop at all.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:38AM
justalurker

"... since the pressure drop across one is 1psi at 20 gpm, which isn't very much of a pressure drop at all".

Is that spec across an empty 4x20 Big Blue?

Should vary depending on what cartridge in installed in the Big Blue and will change as the sediment builds up in the element.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™