Help with ceiling leak

adamrobertsonJuly 18, 2012

I plan on calling a plumber, but in the meantime curiosity is killing me. My laundry is upstairs. Currently I installed a new washer. Everything has worked fine except last night I noticed some water damage along where the wall meets the ceiling, directly under my washer. There isn't any leaking under or around the washer. I have a standard drain in the wall (shown in picture one) which seems to be working fine. Also, I have a horizontal pipe running out of the wall and emptying into a floor drain. Upon closer inspection, this floor drain was backed up with water. I've never seen water dripping from the pipe into the drain, nor have I ever seen water in the pipe. I've ran the washer, flushed every toilet upstairs, ran every sink upstairs, and every bath tub upstairs and nothing effects neither the backed up water in the drain or the pipe coming out of the wall into the drain. Also, I've tried running a coat hanger and it seems to just get stuck at what looks like a 90 degree turn in the drain pipe about 6-8" down. Also, I measured the spot where the leak in the ceiling is and it's exactly where this drain is. My questions: what's the purpose of this drain? I know a lot of upstairs washrooms have drains in case of an emergency, but what's the pipe for? Is the clogged drain likely the culprit of my ceiling leak? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/D2IdG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AG30o.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Do you have an AC unit somewhere nearby? If so, the pipe might be the condensation drain from the unit. Instead of a coat hanger, buy a 1/4" auger and snake the drain.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:49PM
adamrobertson

Thanks. I do have an AC unit, but it's outside. The pipe is a decent distance away, but I hadn't thought of the possibility of a condensation drain. Is this typical for newer construction?

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 9:22PM
adamrobertson

Actually, I went up into my crawlspace and noticed that I have an evaporator with a line running in the direction of the laundry room. Is it likely that the link in the laundry is that?

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 9:55PM
adamrobertson

Actually, I went up into my crawlspace and noticed that I have an evaporator with a line running in the direction of the laundry room. Is it likely that the link in the laundry is that?

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 11:03PM
weedmeister

The visible pipe is the condensate drain for your AC.

The drain in the floor is for the laundry room in case of flooding. This drain may or may not be connected to the sewer line. It may just go to the outside wall. Go look.

But it's probably stoppped up and needs to be snaked.

Did you remove the cover to the drain?

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™