Removing the flow restrictor

mori1July 21, 2012

I have a pfister hand held single valve shower that I had installed. Its looks really nice however due to the flow restrictor, taking a shower now sucks. At first I thought the valve might be dirty and did have some left over debris from the tile job. So I cleaned it as recommend and tested the output and that was fine. However, when I the showerhead back on it sucked. I unscrewed the showerhead and found an o-ring that I removed which did help but not enough. The flow restrictor isn't like the one on the sites that show you how to remove it. This has 4 tabs that fit into hole of the washer blocking most of the water. What water that does goes though these little holes . I tried to remove it with small flathead but it won't budge. I'm thinking of getting out my drill but I don't want to damage the showerhead. How do I remove this thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I seem to recall that manufacturers are required to install flow restricters that aren't easily removed. I would just drill it. If it's plastic, you can probably just use a new, sharp drill bit and turn it in by hand. The hole(s) don't need to be that much larger either.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mori1

Thanks Mike. Forgot that I posted that on gardenweb. I ended up drilling it and on the third attempt, it came right out. This thing had several levels of items to restrict flow.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™