Flokati Throw - Where can I find a nice one?

sparklekittyMarch 18, 2013

I want to buy a flokati throw to put on a wood lounge chair and am having a hard time finding one. All I can find are rugs. I would like it to have a rough edge, approximately 2 x 4ish feet. My goal is to mimic a sheepskin, which is beautiful, but not practical for my family.

Here is the chair: http://www.dwr.com/product/rex-folding-lounge-chair.do?sortby=ourPicks#.UUeEjldW2So (one of the last images shows it with the sheepskin.)

I did find a faux fur at Ikea, but I really would prefer something made with a natural material. Here is the ikea fake fur (I also would like something less "white" more off white like sheep skin.) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30229077/

Any recommendations for a good source? Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

There are some on Ebay, the link is below. Now I want one haha.

Here is a link that might be useful: throw

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckygal

I've never heard of flokati throws altho what do I know. ;D

Flokati rugs come in several weights so perhaps the lightest weight would work for a throw. I've never seen them smaller than 3'x5' tho.

I bought a flokati when we lived in Europe in the 70's and it was a heavier weight one. One thing about flokatis is that they do have a bit of lint. Can't really say mine 'shed' a lot but when the kids used to lay on it there would be a few bits of lint on their clothes.

Synthetic flokatis (I also had 2 of those in our bedroom back in the 70's) are very much easier to care for. I washed mine in my washing machine whereas the genuine wool flokati had to be washed by hand either outdoors in a child's plastic swimming pool or in the bathtub. When wet it weighed more than I could lift.

IMO a synthetic flokati or a genuine washable lambskin would make the best throw for a chair. If you get a lambskin make sure it is guaranteed washable. Not all are, there's a different method of tanning to produce the washable type.

For any rugs I only deal with reputable rug companies and not online. I want to see and feel whatever I'm buying and greatly dislike returning things.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
Best mirror for misaligned light and faucet?
The light over our bathroom sink is not centered over...
amj0517
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?
I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the...
juddgirl2
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™