Supply lines in outside walls or not?

Angie_DIYJuly 5, 2011

Hi,

I am in the midst of a complete kitchen remodel. In another thread, I have been grateful to get guidance on moving the drain/vents for the kitchen sink. Now I am wondering about the supply lines.

I live in a cold climate (upper midwest). Any advice on whether it is recommended to put the supply lines in the exterior walls (and make it easier to install cabinets), or is it recommended to shoot them up through the floor and protect them from freezing (as they are now)?

It would be easiest, I think, to shoot them up through the floor after the cabinets are installed (although I am installing a marble floor). In my house, the rim joist space in the basement is bricked in (except where the drain lines go). Since I am moving the sink over a couple of stud bays, I would have to chip out those bricks to get access to the exterior wall stud bay. This certainly can be done, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to. Nonetheless, the most important consideration is the possibility of freezing pipes!

Thoughts?

THANKS! A_D

Here is a link that might be useful: My other thread about moving the drain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

They are more vulnerable in outside walls, but inside of cabinets may not be much better without adequate insulation in the wall.

I know more than one person who has to keep the cabinet doors under the sink open (to allow more warm air to circulate inside the cabinet) at night in the winter to make sure the lines do not freeze.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 10:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

Thanks for the note, brickeye. I am planning to do a fiberglass blow-in blanket job. I debated pros and cons of flash and batt, but I think BIB makes the most sense overall.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
questionoftheday
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Water softener decision for Austin, Texas city water
I want to better protect my plumbing from wear and...
ivaniphone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™