Reconfiguring waste pipe in tight space

suburbanmdJuly 8, 2010

This is the waste pipe from my kitchen, coming down through the basement ceiling at the outside wall, joined to an iron pipe which turns away from the house to an old buried main line. The main line is in bad shape, so we'd like to redirect the kitchen waste to a modern main line in the basement.

Do you see any way to make the required changes, including capping off the iron pipe, in the available space? My plumber thinks it's too tight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If it is not broken do not fix it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 9:57AM
suburbanmd

The old main line is 4" iron with a belly (low point), and the kitchen sink and dishwasher are the only fixtures that still discharge into it. So it's especially prone to getting clogged. If it does clog, a big snake (sewer machine) is needed to clear it, and that costs extra around here. It would be nice to completely abandon that line, though we certainly can live with it and deal with problems as they occur. Another possibility is to reroute the waste line upstairs so it comes down between the next pair of joists. That'll involve opening a wall, and possibly other as-yet-unknown problems.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 2:51PM
hendricus

If you have an alternate main line to go to just break up the end of the steel line and then seal it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 3:08PM
suburbanmd

The plumber's issue is with breaking up the iron pipe fitting, and capping it, in that small space. And if the iron pipe is left intact, there isn't enough room to attach a fitting to the ABS pipe.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 6:23PM
brickeyee

"The plumber's issue is with breaking up the iron pipe fitting, and capping it, in that small space. And if the iron pipe is left intact, there isn't enough room to attach a fitting to the ABS pipe."

I cannot tell from the picture how far back from the opening you took the picture from the pipe is.

Rerouting the line over a joist bay might very well be the easiest and cheapest solution, even including the wall repair.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
peoplelover
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™