Rainbird sprinkler system not working

laserred0184July 13, 2014

I am having a difficult time fixing my sprinkler system. I have a rainbows system. All of the vavles are in separate places inline with the corresponding zones. I have tested the control box and it is good. All of my silindoids are good reading an impedance of 40.00 on the multimeter. The only zone that will run is zone #3. Even a manual attempt will not turn them on. Another issue. I opened all of the zones from the silinoids except for the one coming from the main water source. Which is zone 3.. And then run zone 3 and all of the sprinklers come on at once. With all of the valves closed the only one that will run is zone 3... Btw, zone 3 runs just fine on the timer, like it's suppose to!!! Help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

Test at the solenoid - there should be voltage at the coil, when the system calls for water, at that zone. I don't know about your system, but probably it's 24 volts. In any event be careful when testing a live circuit.

Since one circuit works, I'd check for a loose wire.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:09AM
laserred0184

The solenoids all have 24v while powered. And I respliced all of the connections at each solenoid hoping to fix the problem. No luck though

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:24PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, Some systems have a circuit that turns on a main valve that pressurizes the manifold. It remains on along with every station, I think the main valve is connected to station 3 and not the correct terminal. That would give you the problem you are having. Check the wiring,
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:05PM
laserred0184

Well each station is scattered one is on the side yard. the other 3 are in the back yard and the last two are in the front. All of the wiring checks out also. The main water line goes directly into valve 3. Does that mean the valve should be turned on at all times. And same question for the other 3 valves?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:25PM
geoffrey_b

If the solenoids have current, then you are not getting water - from some valve up stream. The control box - are there realys? Could be a bad relay.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:46PM
laserred0184

No relays, and that's why I'm not getting it. The solenoids are good... But All of them won't come on. Just zone 3. Which is directly connected to the water main. That zone is turned off by the solenoid and It will still come on with the timer. And if I open all of the valves except zone 3 and run the systems all of the sprinklers run. Just not very well due to the pressure. All zone are supposed to be off correct? And by off I mean turning the solenoid clockwise. Iv been watering the freaking yard by hand for 2 months now:-/ soooootired of this issue

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:27PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, Zone 3 is connected to the water main. What are the other zones connected to?
Woodbutcher

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:58PM
laserred0184

I assumed zone 3 and they all branched out from there. Basically zone 3 feeding the system. Would that even work? Lol there is no box with multiple valves in it. Like a manifold

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™